Sunday, January 3, 2016

A Galaxy Far Far Away, a Subject Matter Close to Home

     Maybe it's just us, but several moviegoers see the new Star Wars character Poe Dameron as possibly gay. Throughout his small amount of screentime in the film, the character is seen as having some chemistry with another main character who is also male. The theory even went as far as the Ellen Show, where more hints on the character's sexuality were dropped. Yes, it's unlikely that what we see Poe as will become fact, but what if it was? One red flag the producers or Disney itself might have with making Poe homosexual is that it could make a lot less people support the franchise or see the new movies because of their beliefs. But one thing that we already know is that the Star Wars franchise is simply too big to kill, considering how it still thrived even after movies like The Phantom Menace were made. But if Disney did go through with it and made Poe officially gay, it could cause Star Wars fans to rethink their ideology. This representation in the media could also give LGBT+ people of all ages someone to look up to. After all, things like Orange is the New Black, Pretty Little Liars, and Orphan Black have loads of gay characters that do not drastically devalue the series. Even after J.K Rowling confirmed that Dumbledore from the Harry Potter series was gay, the franchise still held up. I think Disney making Poe's homosexuality canon would be nice because it would be a huge step forward and would go along with the Star Wars theme of inclusion of minorities (Rey is female, Finn is black, etc.). Inserting a gay character into Star Wars and it's surrounding media could do some real good for both the storyline and the people that watch it, and I think it would fit in perfectly.

5 comments:

  1. It did not even occur to me to think about the sexuality of his character when I saw the movie, and I did not know there was even a debate about it. I think it shows a lot about our society that we have made the character's sexuality into a mass debate, and that there is speculation that his character being gay might harm the Star Wars franchise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly no one cares mate, being a devout Star Wars fan myself, you could introduce Mitt Romney as a Sith Lord or something and this franchise would still be extremely prominent. Because of this I think that this would be a good way to introduce gay people as "normal" in TV/Movies without making it a huge plot point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I think it'd be cool if it did happen, but at the end of the day, it wouldn't make a huge difference. I liked seeing people's theories on it though.

      Delete
  3. I did notice that Po and Fin had a long hug after they rediscovered each other. I don't really think about the romances in Star Wars when I watch the movies. Also, I live under a rock so I haven't even heard of the debate. I thought it was interesting to hear this. It is also interesting to see how they adapted Star Wars to the 21st century

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did notice that Po and Fin had a long hug after they rediscovered each other. I don't really think about the romances in Star Wars when I watch the movies. Also, I live under a rock so I haven't even heard of the debate. I thought it was interesting to hear this. It is also interesting to see how they adapted Star Wars to the 21st century

    ReplyDelete